Monday 27 January 2014

Life of an unemployed

I am definitely loving the life of being unemployed; to wake up as and when I want to without the dreadful alarm wake up calls, planning impromptu dates because I don't have a routine I need to stick to, and lazing around just because I can.

But sometimes, certain days just feels so unproductive and it annoys me because I feel like I haven't made full use of it. Oh wells.

In the past few weeks, I've caught three movies!

1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty



2. The Wolf of Wall Street



3. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit


If I had to pick any movie from the three to watch again, I would go with The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It was basically about an everyday man who decides to leave everything behind and do something outrageous for once in his life. There was a certain vibe the movie gave that I loved and it was an enjoyable film to watch for me, with some comedy thrown in here and there with the main character's vivd daydreams. Though I came across some harsh critiques about this movie, there were some insights about the sad life of Walter Mitty, such as the one I read on CreativIndie. It's a very, neutral movie to watch. Not extremely fantastic but not that dreadful.

The Wolf on Wall Street was an eye-opener for me about the whole concept of sex, drugs and money. It was a brilliant film, but just not my cup of tea.

I have a difficult time enjoying myself watching an action film, especially with the extremely quiet, suspenseful moments. Jack Ryan wasn't even that scary, but I found myself covering my eyes and ears about a third of the time because yes, I'm a scaredy cat. Plot was predictable with the good guys winning and the bad guys losing so blah. Not a movie I would catch a second time.

I've also been spending some time in the kitchen because I don't wanna be out of touch with my skills. I tried a new recipe for an apple crumble bar, but I wasn't happy with it. The ratio of crumble to apple filling was too much, making the dessert very dry, and the crumble mixture itself wasn't great after baking. I think it might have needed more butter to hold everything together. I will definitely work on the recipe more and maybe somewhere in the future, it'd be up on this blog.

Went over to Sarah's house last Sunday after church to cook a brunch-lunch!

Eggs benedict, pancakes, sauté mushrooms and Moscato wine. The wine was to celebrate Gerald's commissioning!


Homemade Eggs Ben! We substituted the bacon with honey-baked ham, which is cheaper and less of a hassle to prepare. Also, we couldn't find any English muffins, so we used hamburger buns instead. Not the best alternative, but we had to make do with what we could get our hands on! 


The same bunch of friends came over to my place on Thursday for dinner!


Cream of mushroom with garlic bread, "house salad", beef stew, lasagna, and chocolate tart for dessert.

*Side-note: House salad consisted of iceberg lettuce, japanese cucumbers and carrots with an awesome sesame dressing (store bought). It's just a salad my family eats on a regular basis, because the dressing is sooooo good! Hence the term "house salad"! 

Photo courtesy of @samanthagoh

Everyone except Kegan (who was the photographer) and Shawn who came later.

Photo courtesy of @the_keygs

Super glad everyone enjoyed the dinner :) On hindsight, I should've bought more beef for the stew because there was barely enough to go around and maybe prepared more soup because a lot of people had seconds and even thirds!

And very early on in the day while I was doing my mis en place, I accidentally sliced my index fingernail and a chunk came off immediately so, ouch. #lifeofachef

Can't get enough of this decadent, rich bittersweet chocolate tart. Though the tart shell is harder than I would like it to be, it's super addictive! The filling is very easy to do, so I'll definitely put this recipe up on the blog when I make it another time. 


I'm leaving for New York really soon and my schedule for my last week here before I leave is slowly being packed to the brim! So many people to catch up with AND Chinese New Year visitations. Not to mention I JUST started packing my luggage!! Planning to bring only one luggage (i.e. 23kg) so I'm really trying to pack the essentials and basics. Gahhhhhhhh so stressful but so excited at the same time! Really hoping the experience will be enriching and make me a more independent and confident individual!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment