Thursday 6 February 2014

New York City

Hours before I ventured into my first solo trip.

Duane came over to my place to cook me brunch!


Oeuf Poché Meurette 
Fancy name for egg poached in red wine, served with bacon chunks, mushroom duxelle, pan-fried bread and a rich decadent red wine sauce. His first time cooking this and my first time trying it. The mushroom duxelle looks really yellow here because he used duck fat to cook it down, and a bit too much I must say. I do prefer eating regular poached eggs compared to this, because if I'm not wrong, the tannins in the red wine gives the poached egg here a slight rubbery texture. Maybe it was a one-off thing, but if it really was the tannins, then choosing a red wine to suit this style would be more difficult than controlling boiling water and some vinegar. 

I spent the next few hours packing and repacking, and repacking again. Due to my dismay, it didn't matter how much I repacked everything into one check-in luggage bag because I had to eventually buy one luggage from Cheers to distribute the overweight-ness of my one bag with another. 

Loved ones and friends who came to send me off so late at night :')




It's only been a day since I landed in the Big Apple, and things have not been smooth in the past 48 hours. I've had issues with my passports, my flights, and now I can't even apply for my social security card and unable to open a bank account without the social security number due to some missing required documents that are all the way back in Singapore. Thus, I might not be able to start my work as scheduled because there isn't any paperwork to deal with without both my social security card and bank account.

But I still thank God for all that He has done, for He has shown His grace and mercy upon me. He allowed me to enter Singapore's departure gate; He provided an alternative flight for me that landed on the same day as my previous arrival time, albeit 9 hours later into the late night; He's blessed me with loved ones I can count on back home who would help me in the blink of an eye when I am in need.

I should have known things weren't going to be so smooth-sailing like it seemed back in Singapore. It makes me feel horrible about myself because I know I could have prevented some of the mishaps from happening if I had been more alert and paid more attention to what I was getting myself into. But well, there's no looking back and the only way is to move on.

Winter isn't as dreamy as it seems. The winds are harsh, with a mixture of rain, snow and slushy puddles (especially at intersections!!). I learnt the art of deciphering a slushy puddle from snow-covered pavements you could walk on without sinking your boots in ankle-high.

I had an unpleasant time getting lost, walking in the wrong directions with boots, socks and feet soaked to the bones. But it was exciting walking through new places and just taking it all in. I think I still haven't gotten used to the idea of drinking hot drinks as of yet, because I found myself buying a banana strawberry smoothie from a neighbourhood deli and an iced lemonade from Shake Shack. I felt a little out of place walking past people with hot cups of tea or coffee in their hands along the streets. But it's alright.

And yes, I had my first taste of Shake Shack today. Bought a single Shake burger with no tomatoes and it was delectable. The meat patty and the shack sauce were such a winning combination. Gahhhhhhh I shall obviously go back for more in the future.

Single Shack Burger (USD$4.75) and Shack-made Lemonade (USD$2.60)


I know it's still Chinese New Year back home and I have quite a number of photos to upload and go through. So in the meantime, I hope whoever's reading back home in Singapore are stuffing their faces with Chinese New Year goodies and collecting more red packets!!

No comments:

Post a Comment