Thursday 4 September 2014

Burgers in NYC

I've been back home in Singapore for two weeks now. Absolutely missing New York at this moment :( But I've managed to catch up with my family and friends so I'm happy :)

I have completely procrastinated for many months about blogging about New York, so I guess better now than never right? I'm sure many are interested to know where are some good places to eat when they visit the city and since I had the pleasure of dining at various places during my stay there, I've decided to categorize all of them based on the cuisine/type of food.

So first off would be BURGERS, since it was literally the first thing I had when I landed in the Big Apple.


1. Shake Shack 

Single Shack Burger with Lemonade
My go-to burger joint if I'm ever craving a burger in the city. In fact, out of all the different places I've gone to for burgers (i.e. the following on this list), Shake Shack is the only burger I've eaten multiple times. I've tried the rest only once. Usually because it was a miss, novelty, or didn't have the chance to revisit.

Shake Stack
I've only had this twice, but the Shake Stack is BEYOND AWESOME!!! Why? Not only because there's a bread-crusted deep-fried portobello mushroom added onto the Single Shack burger...

LOOK AT THAT OOZING CHEESE GOODNESS!!!
...BUT BECAUSE IT IS A PORTOBELLO STUFFED WITH CHEESE!!!!!

HOW CAN YOU COMBINE SO MUCH GOODNESS INTO ONE BURGER??????!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm being biased because I really really love mushrooms and beef and occasionally cheese, but still! The melted cheese in the portobello was still piping hot when I bit into the mushroom, so a really big thumbs-up for this burger :D Love love love it!!

Shake shack also offers pretty good custards/milkshakes, with the standard chocolate and vanilla flavours and a flavour of the day for each day! And the previous day's flavour in a pint is sold at a discounted price the next day!

Just as how In-and-Out is to California, Shake Shack is to New York. It is a MUST TRY if you visit the city. Check out their website here for their various locations, in New York and outside of it!


2. Umami Burger

Umami Burger
Blogged about my experience at Umami Burger before. I would say that some of their flavour combinations are interesting, so do drop by to check it out if you've got the chance! I didn't manage to head back for a second time though.

Locations and menu here!


3. Mighty Quinn's (Smorgasburg/Brooklyn Flea)

Beef Brisket Burger topped with BBQ Sauce and Slaw
I've heard from friends about Mighty Quinn's being one of the better barbecue places in the city and I happened to chance upon it while I was walking around the Smorgasburg/Brooklyn Flea at Williamsburg.

Smaller menu at Smorgasburg/Brooklyn Flea

Decided to get their Lil' Brisket Burger. It was quite a handful to eat though. But it was really good nonetheless! I love eating coleslaw with barbecued meat because it adds a nice freshness needed to counter the smoky rich goodness of the meat.


Even though Smorgasburg/Brooklyn Fleas are only held on the weekends, fear not! Mighty Quinn's restaurants can be found in Manhattan, Brooklyn and New Jersey! Just check out their website here for their locations and menu offerings!


4. Ramen Burger (Smorgasburg)



Yes, this trademarked burger that has received a lot of attention from around the world. Finally had the chance to taste this burger sensation at Smorgasburg at Pier 5.

First impression on the first bite? Meh. It really isn't something THAT fantastic, only fascinating. Ramen should just remain as ramen. Burgers should just remain as burgers, as it is. In my honest opinion anyways.

But of course, I would encourage any of you to try this at least once. Because that's the spirit of being adventurous I guess? Locate them by visiting their website here!


5. Lucky's Famous Burgers

Lucky's Cheddar Burger with Onion Rings

With the same colour scheme of a famous fast food restaurant, I thought this was just going to be another run-of-the-mill burger joint. But I was proven wrong! They have some fantastic offerings and what I like about Lucky's is that you can customize your burgers - patty, cheese, sauce, toppings, bun - ALL OF IT! The best kind of option to offer to really picky eaters like me! :D

And I really love well done breaded onion rings, so Lucky's did deliver in this aspect, which made me a really happy customer :D

It was barely busy in the outlet I went to (at East Houston Street), so I'm not too sure if they're not that well known in the city, if it was just the day and time I was there or the location of the outlet itself. It really is quite a good burger joint to get your burger fix!

Look them up on their website here for locations and menu offerings!


6. Five Guy's Burgers and Fries


Photo courtesy of http://www.myballard.com
This burger joint started off as local restaurant in Washington, D.C. and eventually franchised themselves across the US. Still serving hand-formed burger patties even after 20 years! Didn't managed to get a photo of the burger I got because Duane ate it too fast -.- But from the picture above, can really tell the patty is hand-formed! It's like a squished meatball!

And the burger is pretty decent!

FREE TOPPINGS!!!
Their menu is really limited, a good example of quality over quantity. Another good thing about Five Guys is obviously their FREE TOPPINGS! Who doesn't enjoy piling up their basic burger with free toppings???

Free peanuts!!!
They also provide free peanuts too! I remember not eating most of the peanuts I took away though. Instead, I gave them to the squirrels in the park ^^v

There are a couple of outlets in the city so give it a try! Information about them can be found on their website!


7. New York Burger Co.

New York Cheeseburger
Photo courtesy of New York Burger Co.
I remember eating at Chipotle right before heading into this burger restaurant, so I think Duane and I only shared the cheeseburger if I'm not wrong? And onions rings to go with it! The patty was pretty juicy, though this burger didn't make an impressionable impact on me. But then again, it was just a cheeseburger, so maybe if I had tried a different burger it would have been a different story?

Onion Rings
Photo courtesy of New York Burger Co.
I personally prefer breaded onion rings, but their battered onion rings weren't too bad! 

Check them out to here to see where they be at!


8. Smoke Joint


This joint got featured on Food Network's Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives so I just had to go check it out! After all, Joe's Cable Car got featured on Triple D and I really loved it a lot so nothing to lose right? (*Sidenote* Joe's Cable Car closed down in March this year though :( Because the owner, Joe, was retiring. But I'm glad that I managed to eat there at least once!)

It's not really a burger place, but as its name suggests, more of a barbecue joint. The smoked meat are served in platters, but we opted to have them as burgers.

Pulled Pork Burger with Slaw and Pickles
Beef Brisket Burger with Slaw and Pickles
Brooklyn Wings and Mac n Cheese
But to be honest, it tasted anything but ordinary to me. It's not bad, just not that great. Maybe I had too high expectations? Oh wells! I wouldn't mind popping by the area though, just for a sweet treat that I've included at the end of the post!

The Smoke Joint
87 South Elliott Place, Brooklyn, NY 11217
Tel: 718-797-1011



9. Bark Hot Dogs

Photo courtesy of glenwoodnyc.com
I guess it would be a bit strange to go for their burgers here when they've got the words 'hot dogs' in its name, but they were honestly not too bad! It's a really warm and inviting restaurant located pretty near the Barclays Center. 

Photo courtesy of Caroline Russock via aht.seriouseats.com
Photo courtesy of Caroline Russock via aht.seriouseats.com
Battered onion rings again...which turned out to be pretty decent. One of the better battered onion rings out there!

They do catering too, which I find pretty awesome. Just check them out their website for more information about it!


Bark Hot Dogs
474 Bergen Street, Brooklyn, NY 11217
Tel: 718-789-1939


10. Smashburger


Photo courtesy of Smashburger
It's a typical burger joint pumping out the usual favourites, along with a few quirky creations of their own, such as the Avocado Ranch Veggie Black Bean Burger. They do also allow you to create your own burger, so that flexibility on the menu is a plus point too!

Haystack Onions
Photo courtesy of snackfixation.com
THIS. This was good. Crispy and well-seasoned. I approve!!! Just that it's advisable to order this to share, because it gets a bit gelat (Malay expression to denote extreme weariness of repetition) after eating so much of it.

Look them up here for more information about their menu and locations!


11. Corner Bistro


Bistro Burger
Corner Bistro is considered to be one of those veterans' to be on such Best Burger in NYC lists, so I was pretty excited to try it!

Photo courtesy of quiksilverpronyguide.wordpress.com
Located in West Village, Corner Bistro might be a little difficult to locate and you might just walk by it without realising, so look out for its neon sign! It's a small place with just a couple of tables and a bar, and also has a very straightforward menu. But the food that comes out of the kitchen is incredible simple and delicious! I would recommend going for the Bistro Burger or Chili Burger. My only gripe would be that the patty could've used more salt? Other than that, I would definitely recommend anyone to check out this place to have drinks and burgers with your friends.

Corner Bistro
331 West 4th Street, New York, NY10014
Tel: 212-242-9502



12. Burger Heaven



It may be named 'Burger Heaven', but this diner serves up not just burgers, but breakfast food and sandwiches too! Saw it on some burger list I browsed through on the website so I decided to give it a try with Duane one day.

Burger Heaven Burger with Curly Fries and Coleslaw
Burger Heaven Burger with Coleslaw
If you're wondering why there are 2 portions of coleslaw in the photo above (obviously my plate), it's because I switched out the fries for another portion of coleslaw. Initially I tried to switch it to onions rings, but the staff wouldn't allow it, so we got those as a side instead.

Onion Rings
I was pretty disappointed with these though. On the menu it read 'Crispy Onion Rings', but these didn't stay crispy past a few minutes :( Plus it cost about USD$7 and the portion was so little! 

Overall, I would say the burgers and overall meal here was average. The burgers were great but the onions rings was such a let down! Wouldn't mind going back for their burgers I guess!


13. Schnippers


Photo courtesy of Nick Solares via aht.seriouseats.com
The burgers here are really well prepared here - toasted bun, fresh condiments and a patty so juicy and packed with flavour. It's a decent place to go to for your burger fix! But it's not their burgers I'm really crazy about though. 

Photo courtesy of tasty-eating.blogspot.sg
BECAUSE I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEIR ONIONS RINGS! Thick cut and breaded, how not to love??? Just like how I've gone back to Shake Shack for their burgers multiple times, I've gone back to Schnippers just for their onion rings SO MANY TIMES! Doesn't help that both Shake Shack and Schnippers are located a minute away from my old workplace! This one here really reminds me of Joe's Cable Car onion rings, which is saying a lot, considering that I've tried so many other places serving up breaded onion rings!

Orders take quite a while to be made, but I assure you it'd be worth it! Affordable and quality tasty food is seriously the best combination. Definite recommendation to try this place!

Click here to find out what else they have to offer and their various locations!


14. Homecooked!


Nothing better than cooking your own burger, because you can customize it and add whatever condiments you want!! Pictured above is an 80/20 beef patty seasoned with salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder topped with slaw, corn, caramelized onions and bacon, sandwiched between a grilled potato burger bun. I cooked it twice in a day. First time for my lunch and the second for dinner (for Duane to try). Super yum!!!


Overall, I would say this list of burger joints is pretty decent. Only missing places serving up gourmet-esque burgers I guess? But who cares about it being gourmet or not? What does gourmet even mean??? As long as it tastes awesome right??

I hope this list helps whoever is intending to travel to New York! Or the States in general since there are a few places are located outside of New York as well.

If you've got any other favourite burger joints in the Big Apple/States, please feel free to leave a comment so I can visit them if when I go back to the States!

...


*BONUS*


This is for everyone, but especially for my fellow Singaporean friends: FRESH SUGARCANE JUICE. The closest you can find, albeit not being chilled with ice.

Sugarcane juicer I am so not familiar with
It's a sugarcane juice stand located next to The Smoke Joint and situated right next to a neighbourhood deli. I'm not certain of its operating hours though, because sometimes when I'm passing by the area on the bus, the stall isn't in operation. But most of the time they should be there from late afternoon to early evening.

Duane waiting very excitedly and patiently for his sugarcane juice
Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the sugarcane juice itself because Duane was very excited about his drink so it was finished really fast. It was strange for me to drink it though, because it was room-temperature (they don't serve it with ice). And also, they don't strain the juice before serving it, unlike the Singaporean hawkers, so you're left with bits of inedible sugarcane fiber at the bottom of your cup. Definitely a turn-off. But, I would drink this any day over the bottled versions of sugarcane juice sold in the supermarkets (if you can actually find them). 

No comments:

Post a Comment